Thursday, November 18, 2010

Baby Fever, Anyone?

So, do you ever wonder when you'll be really ready to have a baby? Like... REEEEALLY ready? I've been blissfully married for almost 2.5 years, and MOST times, Jake and I know that we are not even remotely close to being ready; I'm perfectly content being wifey and dog mommy, but occasionally I get a lil bout of the baby fever..


Case in point, I was driving home from work the other day, glanced over and noticed a minivan and thought oooh thats cute. WAIT, WHAT??? Who thinks minivans are cute and actually wants to drive one? Isn't that a last resort once you've poppedd out a few too many kiddos but you can't afford a more-fashionable suburban? I do believe thats what most moms want to avoid at all cost.! Anyway though, the whole thing freaked me out, like, maybe it was my subconcious saying, "eh, being a minivan driving soccer mom isnt soooooo bad." I definitely get baby brain when lots of friends are preggers. Orrrrrr it could be derived from the fact that im obsessed w/ reading the blogs of prego women. (Why do I even find that so facinating?) Oh, and then theres allllllllllll the pregnancy/baby shows on TLC. And what is it with all babies looking cuter and cuter? I used to think newborns in particular were hideous; occasionally I'd spot a cute one here and there. Also, with my career I'm constantly talking to female clients so of course they make motherhood look and sound like sunshine and roses...

Okay, so yeah, all of the above make for the FEVA' ! ahhh, whats a girl to do? Is the biological clock a tickin'?  Maybe.... But, I will say the hubs and I have a very REALISTIC outlook on the whole baby thang. We definitely consider all the "cosequences". (Possibly a bad choice in words?). hmm.. I just don't think it's the kind of thing you dive right into, blindfolded. Hello, babies mean BIG life changes that one shouldn't fail to consider. We also know there is no magic age, or a certain amount of years we should be married, etc.etc.etc.! We do have just a fewwww things that must come first.

** Job/Financial Security. We don't have to be filthy rich, but there is no way I would want a child if we couldnt fully support and care for it. That doesnt sound appealing at all.  I cannot enjoy my champagne taste on a beer budget!
** A VERY VERRRRY solid foundation. When children come along, they rock the boat so to speak, and if you're already on shakey ground, children will just magnify your problems. I want to set a good example for my children the way my parents did for me. (29 years of marriage and still going strong, wootwoot!)
** Being husband & wife is FUN! This is my most fave reason of all. A lot of people don't take the time to enjoy marriage on their own. My goshhhhh I love my husband SO DANG MUCH that I could be around him every second of every day. He makes me so incredibly happy, and I have fun w/ him doing absolutely nothing. Sorry to get all mushy gooshy, but its true. When people rush into baby-dom I think about all of the great times they're leaving behind and that they possibly failed to appreciate.  Alone time they will NEVER get back. It also makes me wonder if they are just bored in their marriage...  

My silly opinions/family plan aside, I do have to mention that some people skip the marriage part all together and go right for the baby - and it WORKS for them!  Some people start reallllllllllllllly young, and that works for them too, and some people start expanding their fam the day they tie the knot.  I truely believe that just because someone isn't on MY path doesn't mean they're lost.  To each his own; I ain't judgin'. :)  But this is what works for us. Maybe this in-betweeny-stage is more important to me than others - but I love and appreciate it.  Baby-fever or not; and even though we're **almost** there - there is nothing but time, and I'm going to enjoy every minute we've got together....just the two of us <3

No comments:

Post a Comment