Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some House-y Type Stuff

In the last week or so-ish I've been trying to do some stuff with this janky-looking house of mine.  I rearranged a little last night and I feel like it's a WHOLE NEW PLACE!  WHOOOO!  Jake was working and I was totes bored -- When he's gone it's the best time for me to get creative, crafty or in a cleaning mood.  No distractions plus it helps the time go by.  We hope to put our house on the market later this year, so I figured a little sprucing up could help.. Well, that AND a nice good 2 day DEEP clean.  Phew!  Now that everything is like new, I'm all " AWW I love this house!! "  I really do. *Sigh.*
Rearranged!  Excuse the dog toys & clutter.
Anyway, so want to see some of my projects??  My MOST exciting one was the bar stools I reupholstered last night.  I bought these stools from walmart a few years ago.  They are just basic. Boring. Blah.  I hit up hobby lobby to find some fabric and buy a staple gun.  I KNEW I had to find chevron fabric because it is my most favoritest thing in the whole world right now!  Unfortunately, they didn't have any colors except gray+white... It's still adorbs, but I couldn't do all three stools with it because my house has more warm tones and I was afraid it wouldn't look right.  I bought 3 fabrics with the hope that I could make them go together in a non-go-together kinda way.  I'm REALLY digging Moroccan styled decor, and lots of pops of colors and prints.  I absolutely A-D-O-R-E how these came out, take a looksie!

Next up: My makeshift jewelry holder.  I have{had} a jewelry tree thingy that someone gave me, but it wasn't working.  First of all, my clunky jewelry was weighing it down.  They also kept getting all tangled up, and they were much too long for the little tree anyway.  It always looked messy and unorganized.  I practically never wore any of my necklaces because it was such a b!tch to untangle them.  I wanted something that I could display my stuff easily on.  Solution: A chunk of rustic looking wood with little white rosette knobs on it.  So fun, simple, easy and cute.  I love looking at all my necklaces!  P.S. I retired my jewelry tree to a pony-tail holder tree.  HA!  It looks redic, no pictures of that mess...

Did I talk about my pinterest spare bathroom makeover yet??  Well, if so, you're gonna hear about it again.  My bad.  I found a tutorial for tiling around straight edge mirrors in the bathroom - seemed easy enough!  Have to say though, it wasn't QUITE as easily as I hoped.. I ended up with liquid nail (glue) all over my mirror.  Also, the first go around I decided I would do it my way which didn't work and all the tiles fell off, shattered and even CHIPPED MY MARBLE SINK.  Uh, whoopsies.  Lesson of the day:  Follow the directions, no shortcuts.  Once it was all finished though, I was really pleased with how it turned out.  I also put up double curtains just because I think it looks cute different.  I also did this 'my' way - I bought REAL curtains so they're extra long, anddddd they can't get wet or be exposed to heavy humidity.  Bad idea for a SHOWER right?  I guess it would be if we ever used that shower but we don't.  I just couldn't find any shower curtains that didn't look cheesy or cheap. 
Tile Border on Mirror

Curtains
So, the spare bathroom isn't exactly practical, but apparently practical isn't exactly my style.  Take my dining room for example -- it's my FAVE room in the house, but if you THINK about trying to eat in there OR GOD FORBID use a plate or napkin I will assault you.  That room and all of it's contents are for looks only.  I mean, why else would I have fake pears sitting on every plate?  {BTW, I've toned the dining room down a little bit... I put up all the glasses and silverware.. That shiz gets dusty and it's just extra cleaning.  And Lord knows we aren't having some formal dinner party any time soon!}


I guess that's about it for the house lately.  I bought some new vases and some decor type stuff, but nothing too exciting.  We still have a LOT more that needs to be done though.. New carpet, new blinds, new paint... Ay yi yi it never ends!  Thanks in part to our lovely dogs.  I like taking it one little project at a time though!  I'm really into antiquing right now and waiting to find perfect pieces here and there!  Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this home decorating thing after all  . . . Now . . . If I could JUST get something up on the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment